Saturday 25 February 2012

Yummy Cupcakes

Just before I went back to school, me, my mum and my little sister Lily decided to bake some cupcakes.

I love making cupcakes and trying out lots of different toppings

These are the cupcakes we made ... yum


Ingredients for cupcake

6 oz margarine
6 oz caster sugar
6 oz Allinson self raising flour
3 eggs

Ingredients for your toppings

Silver Spoon Orange Flavour Buttons
Silver Spoon duo chocolate hearts
Silver Spoon Sprinkle Decorations
6 oz Silver Spoon Icing Sugar
3 oz Butter
3 drops of lilac silver spoon colour creator
1 pack Silver Spoon Pink shimmer balls
1 pack Silver Spoon Blue shimmer balls


Method
Preheat your oven to 190c and fill your cupcake trays with cases

Mix together your caster sugar and margarine until white and fluffy ( I use an electric whisk )

Slowly mix in your eggs and sifted flour, stirring all the time

When it looks a nice light mix, divide your mix into the cupcake cases

Put in the oven for and bake for about 15-20 mins
Get a grown up to check your cakes are ready by touching the top with their finger...if they spring back, they are done !

Take out of the oven and pop them onto a wire rack to cool down.

Once the cakes are fully cooled, you can begin the fun part....DECORATING !!

You can decorate your cakes in any way you want but this is how I made my toppings.

Melt about 20 orange flavour buttons in a microwave ( get a grown up to do this as they get very hot )

Once they have completely melted, pour them over the tops of your cakes...the orange chocolate tastes really yummy !

Then before the chocolate sets, sprinkle on chocolate hearts or coloured sprinkles

To make the purple topping, you need to put the butter into a bowl and add in the icing sugar. Try and do this slowly otherwise you may end up covered in it !

Once this starts to go a nice consistency ( you can add a bit of milk or warm water if you need it ), then put in a couple of drops of lilac colour creater.

Now you need to put it into your piping bag....I had a great kit for christmas off my nanny and grandad that I am using at the moment. It is called Wilton 12 piece cupcake decorating set and it has everything you need to help you with your decorating.

Anyway, once you've put the buttercream into the piping bag , you are all set to start swirling....I start at the outside of the cake and go round and round until I get to the middle.

I also did a couple of my cakes with stars on...these are really easy. I used the star tip out of my kit and just pressed it onto the cake and pushed the mix out.

I decorated the buttercream with pink and blue shimmer balls, and coloured sprinkles.

They were very very tasty ( and didn't last the day ) hehehe

No comments:

Post a Comment