Monday 13 February 2012

Welsh Cakes

This weekend I made my hardest recipe so far. I decided to try and make some welsh cakes. They took a while to make but it was worth it as they were delicious !


Ingredients

400 g Allinson self raising flour
100 g Allinson plain flour
250 g butter
180 g caster sugar
250 g currants
2 eggs
pinch of salt

Method

Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl and add in your butter

Rub into the flour ( it starts to go into lots of crumbs )

Add in the currants, sugar and eggs and bind all the mixture together

This was my favourite part as I got really messy and the mixture was very gooey at first



Carry on binding it together until it starts to look and feel like soft pastry

Sprinkle flour over your worktop to stop your mix from sticking and start rolling out the dough

The dough needs to be about 2cms thick or a bit less otherwise it will take longer to cook

Use a cookie cutter to make round cakes ( I didn't have a cookie cutter so I used the top of a glass to make my round cakes )

Warm up a large frying pan ( get a grown up to take over for this part as you may get burnt )

You need to put your cakes in the frying pan and cook them until they are brown on both sides...don't have your heat too high or they will burn on the outside and not cook fully on the inside

My mum cooked about 5 cakes at a time and then put them on a cooling tray where I sprinkled them with caster sugar, before starting the next 5.

This recipe makes quite alot of cakes so you can use less ingredients to make a smaller batch of cakes if you want to.

These were really tasty and my little sister Lily loved them !

Happy baking x





No comments:

Post a Comment